• Beranda
  • Buku
  • Literature Appreciation Short Story of "I used to live here once" by Jeans Rhys.

echaamachiAvatar border
TS
echaamachi
Literature Appreciation Short Story of "I used to live here once" by Jeans Rhys.
            I enjoyed the story,"I used to live here once" by Jean Rhys. The story is presented by the third person point of view. The narrator success make an illustrate of the setting of place of this short story. Read how brilliant the narrator illustrate the setting of place from first narration, "She was standing by the river and looking at the stepping stones and remembering each one. There was the round unsteady one, the pointed one, the flat one in the middle – the safe stone where you could stand and look round. The next wasn’t so safe for when the river was full the water flowed over it and even when it showed dry it was slippery. But after that it was easy and soon she was standing on the other side". Through the narrator I felt as if I was in the same place with the main character "She" in this story. I can imagine the river, the water flowed, and the stone as if I watched it by myself.

This short story is about a woman, in this story the narrator presented her as "She". The woman seemed in a place that she had visited before. She saw the river, the road wider than before, also a house that looked familiar for her. The sky was clear that day, she walked toward the white-colored house that looked familiar, like she lived there before, only what made it look different is that there is a car parked in front of that house. Not far from home, there is a large mango tree where two children are playing underneath. A white boy and girl like Europeans were born. Then this woman waved and said "Hello"  to the two children. But, none of them responded. The author describes this story happening in the summer, it could seen from the narration that explains the yellowing of grass exposed to the hot sun, "The grass was yellow in the hot sunlight as she walked towards them". On the yellowing grass due to the hot sun, the woman walked toward the two children by calling them back and said: "Hello. Then, I used to live here once". But again none of them answered. When she said for the third time ‘Hello’ she was quite near them. Her arms went out instinctively with the longing to touch them. The boy looked straight into her eyes. But that view seemed to ignore the woman near the two children. The author of this story made the reader guess what the ending was like, full of mystery and made the reader ask questions, Whose house did she see? Whose boy and girl did she meet? And where exactly was she at that time?.
            To conclude all the following stories in the last narrative of the narrator told, that "Her arms fell to her sides as she watched them running across the grass to the house. That was the first time she knew". After the two children left her, she realized that what she was actually experiencing was just a memory at past. That girl is her past, and that boy is her beloved person at that time. Who knows what horrific event that made she lose her memory in her past, until she returned to see the place remember of memories that she did not remember before.
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Mari bergabung, dapatkan informasi dan teman baru!
Buku
BukuKASKUS Official
7.7KThread4KAnggota
Terlama
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Ikuti KASKUS di
© 2023 KASKUS, PT Darta Media Indonesia. All rights reserved.