• Beranda
  • English
  • Appreciation " I used to live here once " By Jean Rhys

Sherly2197Avatar border
TS
Sherly2197
Appreciation " I used to live here once " By Jean Rhys
This short story is based on a woman's journey back to where she was once called home.
The writer uses symbols throughout the story to show the reader that the woman is no longer alive.
The narrative is focused only on the actions, views, feelings, and emotions of women. Throughout the story, the writer shows clues to inform the reader about the meaning of the underlying story. My understanding of "I used to live here once" is the spiritual journey of a woman who visits a place she once called home.
Symbols help the reader to understand the theme of the story. In "I used live here once" it begins she stands on the edge of a flowing river looking at stepping stones remembering which stones are safe to step on and which are not. She might have made the mistake of stepping on the wrong one before. The fallen trees and bushes have not been cared for. This shows the times have changed. But it was still foreign to her.
The writer then explained that it was a good day. Blue day, means peace. She then went up the stairs of the worn house. There were some changes throughout the yard, the house was white and there was a car coming in. My interpretation is that they are human bodies.
Change on the page, is a representation of time passing by. She mention was strange because there was a car on the road that showed that he might have been gone for years. A white painted house is the insight he will get. There are two children playing outside under a big mango tree. There was no response from the children. They young people looked directly at him. Although the boy felt cold and they both went home. The big mango tree symbolizes the wisdom that he gained throughout his life. In my opinion, the coldness experienced by children is caused by the fact that he is no longer in the human body.

The theme of this whole story is a woman's spiritual journey through the afterlife. The symbols expressed throughout the story are interesting. "I used live here once" is far more complex than I thought. This story is well written and I enjoy the meaning behind it.
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Mari bergabung, dapatkan informasi dan teman baru!
English
English
icon
3.2KThread2.2KAnggota
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Ikuti KASKUS di
© 2023 KASKUS, PT Darta Media Indonesia. All rights reserved.